- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 12, 2017

ROY, Utah (AP) - The Latest on a plane crash in northern Utah (all times local):

4:05 p.m.

Federal aviation officials say a small plane made an emergency landing shortly on a Utah highway and struck a car shortly after taking off from a nearby airport.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer says the Beech A24 Sierra aircraft struck the vehicle after landing on the road in the northern Utah city of Roy, 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Salt Lake City.

Kenitzer says investigators believe the pilot and driver of the car may have both sustained minor injuries.

Roy Police Sgt. Matthew Gwynn said police have not received reports of any injuries but says both the driver and pilot were taken to the hospital as a precaution.


3:50 p.m.

Police say it appears no one was injured when a small plane crashed into a car on a five-lane highway in the northern Utah city of Roy.

Sgt. Matthew Gwynn says the pilot and driver were both walking around and talking to emergency responders after the single-engine plane crashed but both people taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Gwynn says the pilot is a 63-year-old man. The driver was a 42-year-old woman.

Gwynn did not have details about where the plane was headed or if the pilot is a student or is fully licensed.

The crash occurred near the Ogden-Hinckley Airport.

Gwynn says the Federal Aviation Administration is investigating the crash.


2:30 p.m.

Police say a small plane struck a car when it crashed into a neighborhood in the northern Utah city of Roy near the Ogden-Hinckley Airport.

Sgt. Matthew Gwynn says there were no reports of injuries to the driver or pilot in the Tuesday afternoon crash but emergency crews were still evaluating the scene.

Gwynn says investigators had few details about the plane and what caused it to go down. He said investigators were still trying to determine if the plane crashed into the car or clipped it while trying to make an emergency landing.

The area is about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Salt Lake City.

Gwynn says police have closed off streets in the area.


This story has been corrected to show that the police spokesman is Sgt. Matthew Sgt. Matthew Gwynn, not Det. Matthew Gwyn.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide