- Associated Press - Thursday, September 14, 2017

FORT CARSON, Colo. (AP) - The Pentagon on Thursday denied a statement by a former high-ranking Army official that more than 6,000 soldiers from Fort Carson, Colorado, will be deployed to Afghanistan.

Patrick Murphy, who was acting secretary of the Army under former President Barack Obama, said in a speech at Fort Carson on Thursday that two units from 4th Infantry Division were headed to Afghanistan, the Colorado Springs Gazette reported (https://bit.ly/2h4qj6A ).

Army Col. Pat Seiber said later that no scheduled deployments are imminent for soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division.


TOP STORIES
Rashida Tlaib deletes tweet blaming 'white supremacy' for New Jersey shooting
Hawaii GOP cancels 2020 caucus, commits delegates to Trump
Student says teacher yanked 'Women for Trump' pin off chest, files police report: 'It's not OK'


It wasn’t immediately clear what Murphy had based his statement on.

The United States currently has 11,000 troops in Afghanistan, and officials have said the U.S. plans to send as many as 3,900 more.



Most of the additional troops sent so far have been members of units already in Afghanistan or units that were already planning to deploy.

The Pentagon usually announces routine deployments of troops rotating into combat zones several months in advance.

Another 4th Infantry Division unit, the 3rd Brigade, is expected to return to Fort Carson soon after a deployment to Europe.

___

Information from: The Gazette, https://www.gazette.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide