- Associated Press - Friday, September 22, 2017

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi’s governor says he’s going to wait another month before he decides whether to approve a state takeover of the Jackson school district.

Phil Bryant told Supertalk Mississippi on Thursday that he’ll wait until the state Department of Education releases final school ratings for the 2015-2016 year. That’s scheduled Oct. 19.

State officials last week said preliminary data shows Jackson will be rated F for a second straight year.


TOP STORIES
Why is Hillary attacking Bernie now?
AOC blames racism for lack of 'police in riot gear' at Virginia gun-rights rally
David Hogg mocks, insults Virginia gun-rights rallygoers: 'Put down the gun and pick up a book'


The state Board of Education last week asked Bryant to declare a state of emergency in the 27,000-student district, citing state rule violations, including concerns about effective teaching, student safety, and students graduating without records showing necessary credits.

Bryant has since met with Democratic lawmakers, Jackson Mayor Chokwe Lumumba and interim Superintendent Freddrick Murray, all of whom oppose a takeover.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide