- Associated Press - Monday, April 23, 2018

WESTFIELD, Mass. (AP) - Fire officials say a large apartment fire in western Massachusetts was caused by cigarette butts discarded into a dried out potted plant.

The fire at the Powdermill Village apartment complex in Westfield displaced 21 families on Sunday afternoon.

State fire officials say the fire originated on a back deck, and that the container for the potted plant was plastic. Westfield Fire Chief Mary Regan says the town has had a number of fires due to improper disposal of smoking materials.

Several departments including West Springfield, Holyoke and Southampton assisted in putting out the flames.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide