- The Washington Times - Friday, August 17, 2018

President Trump cancelled the military parade on Friday and blamed local D.C. politicians for wanting a price “so ridiculously high.”

The president said he will lower costs by attending a parade at Andrews Air Force Base and Paris’ military parade. The savings could go toward more fighter jets, Mr. Trump said.

On Thursday, the Pentagon announced the Veterans Day parade was postponed until 2019.

Earlier in the day, CNBC released a report that said the parade could cost $92 million. Initial estimates had the price tag at $12 million. Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis denied that report and said he has not seen the full cost estimate for the event.

“I have not seen an estimate for $92 million,” Mr. Mattis told AP reporters, “Whoever told you that is probably smoking something that’s illegal in my state but not in most states.”

The American Legion called on the president to cancel the parade Thursday night after the exuberant price tag was reported.

“The American Legion appreciates that our President wants to show in a dramatic fashion our nation’s support for our troops,” National Commander of The American Legion Denise Rohan said in a statement. “However, until such time as we can celebrate victory in the War on Terrorism and bring our military home, we think the parade money would be better spent fully funding the Department of Veteran Affairs and giving our troops and their families the best care possible.”


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide