- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo revealed Wednesday that China was behind the massive security breach in Marriott’s guest system.

The New York Times first reported Tuesday night on the link between the hack and a Chinese intelligence operation that also targeted health insurers and security clearance information.

Mr. Pompeo confirmed the reporting during an interview on Fox News.

“They have committed cyber attacks across the world. Our effort, from Department of Homeland Security and the FBI and the State Department, is to push back against these threats to America from China,” he said. “Trade is a component of that to be sure.”

He said he’s hopeful there will be “some good announcements” about a trade deal in the coming weeks.

Marriott announced last month that private information for up to 500 million guests as compromised in a security breach that traced back to 2014.

For more than half of the potential 500 million guests, the data stolen included “some combination” of name, contact information, passport number, Marriott account information, date of birth, check-in information and communication preferences.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide