- The Washington Times - Monday, February 19, 2018

Florida Gov. Rick Scott called on FBI officials to release all details regarding the school shooting in the state last week after it was revealed the agency failed to follow up on warnings concerning the accused gunman’s behavior.

The Republican governor said he wants all details released about a Jan. 5 call to the FBI from someone close to 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz who was concerned about the teen’s “erratic behavior” and “desire to kill people.”

The FBI failed to pass that information to its Miami office for a followup.

“Last week, our state and nation was shocked to learn of the FBI’s inexcusable inaction after receiving a tip informing them of Mr. Cruz’s desire to carry out a school shooting,” Mr. Scott said in a statement. “The FBI’s failure to initiate an investigation raises many questions and the victims’ families deserve answers now.”

Mr. Scott has called for FBI Director Christopher Wray to resign.

Mr. Cruz is charged with killing 17 people at his former high school in Parkland, Florida, on Wednesday. His motive remains unknown, but he had recently lost his mother and the family friends who took him in believed he had depression.

Another tip came into the FBI from a YouTube user who saw a comment from Mr. Cruz on his video describing his desire to be a school shooter. That tip did not lead to Mr. Cruz despite writing the comment under his own name. 


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide