- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 20, 2018

NEW YORK (AP) - The Fire Department of New York says careless smoking caused a weekend fire in the city’s historic Little Italy neighborhood that hurt 13 people.

The fire Saturday morning tore through Angelo’s of Mulberry Street and apartments above it. The restaurant opened in 1902.

FDNY officials say 2 people were seriously injured and 11 people suffered minor injuries.

City Buildings Department inspectors were called in to assess damage to the structure.

The FDNY tweeted that the fire was “accidental” and was sparked by “careless discard of smoking materials.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide