- Associated Press - Monday, January 1, 2018

STAMFORD, Conn. (AP) - A basement fire blamed on a heater has damaged a two-family Connecticut home and has displaced the residents.

The fire was reported at the Stamford home on Sunday night, when the temperature was below freezing.

Firefighters say the three-story wood frame duplex had working smoke detectors and all the home’s occupants had escaped by the time they arrived. Firefighters brought the fire under control within an hour.

The fire marshal says an electric space heater in a basement bedroom caused the fire.

Nine occupants of the home have been relocated by the American Red Cross.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide