- Associated Press - Friday, June 29, 2018

OAKLAND, Maine (AP) - Fire officials say a person smoking a cigarette while on oxygen caused an apartment fire that displaced eight people in Maine.

The Morning Sentinel reports the fire broke out on the second-floor of an apartment building in Oakland Wednesday night.

One person was hospitalized with minor injuries, and three apartments were damaged by water and smoke.

Oakland Fire Chief David Coughlin says the improper disposal of smoking materials also caused the fire. No charges will be filed.

Building owner Tony Stark says the building will be repaired, and most of the tenants have renters insurance.



Stark declined to give the name of the smoking tenant, but he says the fire should serve as a cautionary tale as to why people shouldn’t smoke.

___

Information from: Morning Sentinel, http://www.onlinesentinel.com/

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide