- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 28, 2018

BERWYN, Ill. (AP) - A suburban Chicago medical clinic has reopened after 15 people were hospitalized when a chemical substance spilled in an exam room.

JenCare Senior Medical Center officials say the Berwyn clinic reopened Wednesday. Firefighters were called to the clinic Tuesday after phenol spilled in an exam room. The chemical substance is used in certain medical treatments and to kill bacteria.

Fire officials say there were 35 people in the building at the time of the spill and some experienced difficulty breathing, coughing and nausea. After first responders arrived, 15 were taken to area hospitals and the building was evacuated and closed. JenCare regional market president Frank Mancuso said early Wednesday that those who were taken to hospitals have been discharged.

Mancuso said the company is investigating what happened.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide