- Associated Press - Thursday, May 10, 2018

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) - A yearslong backlog of estates in one Delaware county has finally been cleared.

WDEL-FM reports New Castle County Register of Willis Ciro Poppiti III presided over a “closing ceremony” for “Operation Backlog” on Wednesday. Upon assuming office in 2011, Poppiti found several thousand estates had been opened after people died but not completed between 2000 and 2010.

His staff looked at uncompleted estates and updated them or closed them out, resulting in the disbursement of more than $140 million is assets to beneficiaries and creditors. The county collected more than $2,500,000 in fees, represented by a giant check unveiled at the event.

Poppiti says the backlog “was no one’s fault.” He attributed it to difficult economic times and the office’s poor technology.

He says there are currently no stale estates.



___

Information from: WDEL-FM, http://www.wdel.com/

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide