- Associated Press - Thursday, May 10, 2018

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) - A Massachusetts man who spent 16 years in prison for a crime he says he didn’t commit has filed a federal lawsuit accusing police of withholding evidence and using unfair tactics to falsely implicate him.

Natale “Nat” Cosenza filed the lawsuit Thursday against the city of Worcester and current and former city police officers. Cosenza was convicted of assault and battery and armed burglary in 2002.

A court vacated Cosenza’s conviction in 2016 and granted him a new trial. A court last year found that the procedure police used that caused the victim to identify Cosenza as her attacker was “unduly suggestive” and prosecutors dropped the charges.

Attorney Jon Loevy says “the police never really tried to solve this crime.”

Worcester’s city attorney didn’t immediately return a phone message.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide