- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 8, 2018

BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) - A Libyan military commander says Islamic militants attacked a checkpoint and opened fire on civilians in two separate incidents in the central city of Sirte, leaving five people dead.

Ali al-Magrahi, head of the so-called Greater Sirte Operation Room affiliated with the self-styled Libya National Army, tells The Associated Press the first attack took place Tuesday when a suicide bomber rammed his vehicle into an army checkpoint . Three were killed in the attack.

Al-Maghri says security forces uncovered two other suicide car bombers. Both fled before detonating their explosives but one opening fire on two civilians, killing them on the spot.

He provided no further details.

The attack on Sirte, Libya’s onetime Islamic State group stronghold, comes shortly after last week’s attack by which left 14 dead.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide