- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 9, 2018

GACKLE, N.D. (AP) - No one was injured when a North Dakota high school had to be evacuated after a chemical spill.

Hazardous materials teams from Fargo and Jamestown were called to the Gackle-Streeter high school on Tuesday after a bottle of magnesium powder broke open in a storage closet in the science classroom. KQDJ Radio reports that a teacher and student reported hearing a “popping” sound in a storage cabinet.

Students were evacuated safely and the chemical was cleaned up.

Logan County Emergency Manager Daniel Schwartz says the evacuation was necessary, as there was a risk of explosion if the powder would have come in contact with moisture or a heat source. School officials also shut down mechanical and electrical systems as a precaution.

Classes resumed as normal on Wednesday.



___

Information from: KQDJ-AM, http://www.newsdakota.com/kqdj-1400am

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide