- The Washington Times - Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Two Washington Redskins players who played at the University of Alabama with Reuben Foster say the team did not consult with them before claiming the troubled linebacker off waivers.

Senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams previously said in a team statement that they claimed Foster “after candid conversations with a number of his ex-Alabama teammates and current Redskins players who were overwhelmingly supportive of us taking this chance.”

Jonathan Allen said he was excited his former Crimson Tide teammate would get another chance, but that the Redskins did not come to him.

“No, they didn’t talk to me,” Allen said. “I wasn’t one of them.” 

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix said the same.

“I didn’t talk to (general manager) Bruce (Allen) or anybody about it,” Clinton-Dix said.

Two other former Alabama stars playing for Washington, Ryan Anderson and Shaun Dion Hamilton, declined to comment.

Foster was arrested Saturday for domestic violence, the second such arrest for him in 2018. He was officially waived by the San Francisco 49ers on Monday and the Redskins claimed him Tuesday, the only NFL team to try to do so.

Clinton-Dix said he has high expectations for Foster when he joins the team. (Foster is on the league’s Commissioner Exempt list.)

“I can’t bash him into the ground for what he did in his past,” he said. “I don’t know what his past was like. When he was in Bama he was a good guy, a funny guy, hard worker, and I expect the same things when he comes here.”


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide