- Associated Press - Friday, April 5, 2019

URBANA, Ill. (AP) - A federal judge has denied a former University of Illinois student’s emergency request to be granted his master’s, withheld after allegations he sexually assaulted another student.

Champaign’s News-Gazette reports Friday that a due-process lawsuit was filed last month for the Indian citizen identified only as “John Doe.” It said he could lose his job if he didn’t have the degree by April 15 and so could be unable to extend his visa.

The assault accusations were made after he graduated but before he got the degree and a school panel ended up dismissing him.

The judge concluded, among other things, that the suit wasn’t properly filed. Lawyer Eric Long said he filed it as it was because the loss of his client’s job was looming. He’s hopeful the former student can prevail in the long run.

___

Information from: The News-Gazette, http://www.news-gazette.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide