- Associated Press - Sunday, December 22, 2019

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) - The legal cases are continuing against a mother-son pair from Vermont charged separately in connection with the shooting death of the woman’s husband as part of what court documents describe as a well-planned crime.

Separate affidavits filed in federal and state court overlap in describing investigators’ version of the events that led to the July 11 death of David Auclair, who was shot in the parking lot of a Hinesburg hiking trail.

Earlier this month Auclair’s wife, Angela Auclair, 47, of Bristol, pleaded not guilty to a charge of aiding in the commission of murder and other charges. She is due in court Monday for a hearing on motions in the case.

Two days after Angela Auclair first appeared in court, her 31-year-old son, Kory Lee George, who had been in federal custody since September on a charge that he possessed the gun used to kill David Auclair, was charged with murder in the slaying of his stepfather. He is scheduled to appear in court Jan. 7.

Angela Auclair and George are both also charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly telling witnesses to lie to police.

Angela Auclair is being held without bail. If convicted of the murder-related charge she could be sentenced to life in prison. George is also facing life in prison.

George’s attorney, Margaret Jansch, said Friday she was still learning about the state’s case, so it would premature to comment on the charges. She said the state had dropped its motion to hold George without bail because he is already being held on federal charges. She said she felt the upcoming hearing would be canceled.

Auclair’s attorney, Robert Sussman, declined comment on Friday.

Police have not suggested a motive for the killing, but court papers describe detailed planning that began at least a week before David Auclair was killed.

According to the state affidavit, George’s girlfriend told investigators that George and his mother talked about the killing, including buying a disposable cellphone, calling David Auclair and luring him to a deserted area and shooting him.

Police say George burglarized the Colchester home of a family friend and stole the gun used in the shooting.

That same night the stolen gun later used to kill David Auclair was test fired near the Monkton home of the Auclairs. The day of the killing George and his girlfriend bought a “burner phone” from a Milton pharmacy, the documents said.

The phone was later used to call David Auclair about a half hour before he was shot. Just before 10 p.m. on July 11 Hinesburg police received reports of gunshots near the Laplatte Headwaters Town Forest parking area.

David Auclair’s body was discovered riddled with nine gunshot wounds.

“There was black grease on his hands; it appeared that he may have been trying to crawl under the truck as he was being shot,” according to an affidavit signed by state police Sgt. James Voorhis.

The next morning Angela Auclair reported her husband missing. She told police he had been called into work, but police determined that no such call was made.

Three days after David Auclair’s death, the gun used to kill him and the burner phone were recovered from Lewis Creek only a short distance from the Auclair home.

In their investigation police used a series of surveillance videos, text messages and witness interviews to unravel the case.

While no charges were filed in David Auclair’s death until earlier this month, George, who had a criminal history that made it illegal for him to have a weapon, was charged in September with possessing the gun used to kill his stepfather.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide