- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The Trump administration has blacklisted six Venezuelan-owned oil tankers that were being used by socialist President Nicolas Maduro to transport oil to Cuba.

In a statement released Tuesday, the State Department said the vessels’ actions were violating existing sanctions that are “intended to prevent the theft of Venezuela’s natural resources for corrupt purposes.”

The tankers belong to state-run oil company PDVSA. One was operating under a new name “Nedas” — after the U.S. blocked the same ship earlier this year under the name “Esperanza.”


TOP STORIES
Democrats' Trump impeachment could cost them the 2020 election
EXCLUSIVE: Devin Nunes: Democrats' impeachment articles distort reality like 'funhouse mirror'
Obama spied on an opponent and the FBI lied repeatedly. Trump is being impeached?


The decision marks the latest move by the U.S. to pressure Cuba into abandoning its support for Caracas and Mr. Maduro, whom the U.S. and over 50 other countries have called to step aside.

Cuba continues to prop up Nicolas Maduro, subverting the Venezuelan people’s right to self-determination and undermining Venezuelan institutions,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement.



He vowed that the U.S. will continue to hold Havana accountable for its role in supporting the regime, and will continue to support opposition leader Juan Guaido, who has said Mr. Maduro was fraudulently elected and declared himself the country’s interim president.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide