- The Washington Times - Friday, February 1, 2019

President Trump insisted he was not behind former campaign adviser Roger Stone’s alleged attempts to contact WikiLeaks about hacked emails during the 2016 presidential campaign.

In an interview with the New York Times Thursday, the president was asked if he contacted Mr. Stone or sent anyone to talk to him.

“No, I didn’t. I never did,” he said.

The indictment from the special counsel’s team said a “senior Trump campaign official” was directed to reach out to Mr. Stone to ask about any other plans that WikiLeaks had scheduled to discredit political rival Hillary Clinton.

Mr. Stone pleaded not guilty to charges of witnesses tampering, obstruction and making false statements in relation to the hacked Democratic National Committee emails.



In a separate interview with the Daily Caller, Mr. Trump criticized FBI officials for the show of force they used during Mr. Stone’s pre-dawn arrest at his home in Florida last week. He said he would consider asking the agency to review its policies in light of the situation.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide