- Associated Press - Friday, January 18, 2019

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Authorities say one person has died in a Columbia house fire that authorities are blaming on an unattended candle.

The Columbia Daily Tribune reports that the firefighters rushed to the home late Thursday and found the victim inside. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Columbia Fire Department said in a news release Friday that it is withholding the name of the victim pending notification of relatives. The investigation found that a candle sparked the blaze, which started in the living room. The release says there were no working smoke alarms.

Damage to the structure is estimated at $16,000.

___

Information from: Columbia Daily Tribune, http://www.columbiatribune.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide