- The Washington Times - Sunday, July 28, 2019

RICHMOND —While Trent Williams continues to holdout over his contract and displeasure with the Washington Redskin’s medical staff, the team pushed back Sunday against some of the reporting surrounding the situation.

Senior vice president of communications Tony Wyllie told reporters Sunday that a report that claims Williams has said he does not intend to suit up again for Washington was “100% false.”

On Sunday, CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora tweeted: “As I reported months ago, relationship between Trent Williams and Skins is totally fractured. He (doesn’t) trust Bruce Allen or the medical team there and made it known long ago he does not intend to play for them again.”

La Canfora’s tweet came after an NFL Network report that stated there is “no end in sight” to Williams‘ holdout.

Coach Jay Gruden said last week he expects the seven-time Pro Bowler to report “sooner or later,” but that has yet to happen. The Redskins reported to training camp Wednesday. 



Williams‘ holdout has loomed large over this year’s training camp, especially as the left side of the line has struggled in pass protection. The Redskins added veteran Corey Robinson on Saturday for depth and could still look to sign Donald Penn, who worked out for the team on Friday.

Ryan Kerrigan called Williams‘ absence “weird.”

“We need him on this team,” the linebacker said. “I hope he’s back here sooner than later.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide