- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott will not receive a suspension for an incident with a security guard at a Las Vegas music festival earlier this year, the NFL announced.

“Commissioner (Roger) Goodell determined there was no violation of the personal conduct policy and no further action is warranted,” a league statement said.

Elliott said Tuesday he needs to “work harder” after he met with Goodell to discuss the incident.



In a statement posted on social media, Elliott said he made a “poor decision.” The 23-year-old was briefly detained but not arrested after bumping a security guard in May, causing the man to fall down to the ground.

“Earlier today, I met with the Commissioner to share with him what occurred in Las Vegas and what I have learned from that incident,” Elliott said. “I’ve worked hard to make better decisions and to live up to the high standards that are expected of me. I failed to do that here and I made a poor decision. I apologized to [security guard] Kyle Johnson at the time and I meant it.

“I need to work harder to ensure I do not put myself in compromised situations in the future. I am rededicating myself to use all of the resources that the league has made available. But in the end, it is up to me and I am determined not to be in this position again.”

The running back previously served a six-game suspension in 2017 for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. Elliott’s former girlfriend accused him of domestic violence in 2016, and though the running back was not charged by police, the NFL still punished him for the matter. 

Elliott rushed for 1,434 yards and six touchdowns in 15 games last season. 

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide