- The Washington Times - Thursday, May 23, 2019

Key questions surrounding actor Jussie Smollett’s attack claims earlier this year may finally be answered, thanks to a Cook County judge.

Judge Stephen Watkins ordered the unsealing of records related to the case, which made national headlines, The Chicago Sun-Times reported Thursday.

Numerous media groups, including the Sun-Times, have requested the move.


TOP STORIES
Cameron Walters, fresh from boot camp, one of 3 killed at Naval Air Station Pensacola
Rapper Juice Wrld dies at 21
Bloomberg says live-in girlfriend would be 'de facto first lady' if he wins


The “Empire” actor originally faced 16 counts of disorderly conduct for claiming that supporters of President Trump beat him and hurled racial slurs during a Jan. 29 attack.

Charges against Mr. Smollett were abruptly dropped and records sealed in March in a chain of events blasted by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.



“This looks like because he’s an actor, a person of influence, he got treated differently than anybody else,” Mr. Emanuel told ABC’s “Good Morning America” anchor George Stephanopoulos on March 27. “You have the state’s attorney’s office saying he’s not exonerated, he actually did commit this hoax. He’s saying he’s innocent. They better get their stories straight. This is actually making fools of all of us.”

The 36-year-old actor, however, has always maintained his innocence.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide