By Associated Press - Friday, November 15, 2019

STATESBORO, Ga. (AP) - Fire officials say a Wednesday blaze that killed two south Georgia mobile home residents was sparked by a space heater that ignited clothing.

Statesboro firefighters found 20-year-old Anderson Spitler dead in the master bedroom when they arrived. His mother, 44-year-old Leslie Ann Dixon, died at a hospital.

Georgia Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King says in a statement that the 34-year-old mobile home had no smoke detectors.

Two other people escaped unharmed.

Statesboro Fire Chief Tim Grams tells the Statesboro Herald that a relative in a nearby home heard noises and calls for help, and helped the two survivors escape.



King says the bodies of the two victims will not be sent for autopsies due to “overwhelming evidence that their deaths were caused by smoke and soot inhalation.”

___

Information from: Statesboro Herald, http://www.statesboroherald.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide