By Associated Press - Thursday, November 21, 2019

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - A man accused in a confrontation that ultimately led to a fatal Colorado police shooting has been acquitted after the defense claimed the alleged victim called police because he was mad about losing a fight he started.

The Gazette reported it took jurors in Colorado Springs less than 20 minutes to find 19-year-old Lawrence Stoker not guilty of third-degree assault and harassment Thursday.

Anthony Love called police Aug. 3 to report that Stoker beat and robbed him while De’Von Bailey flashed a handgun.



Bailey was fatally shot after running from police after being told he would be searched. Prosecutors cleared police in the shooting last week.

After the verdict, one juror who said Stoker shouldn’t have been charged reached out to shake Stoker’s hand, saying he was sorry for what he was put through.

___

Information from: The Gazette, http://www.gazette.com

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Story Topics

Please read our comment policy before commenting.