By Associated Press - Thursday, October 31, 2019

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut judge has dismissed murder charges against a man who had been accused of killing two people more than 25 years ago because police took too long to arrest him.

The Connecticut Post reports that the victims’ families expressed outrage, but Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander said in court Wednesday her hands were tied.

Although police knew Howard Brown -the suspect in two 1993 killing in Bridgeport - was in a New York prison on another murder charge, they waited almost 23 years to serve him with warrants in the Connecticut cases.



By that time, the lead detective was dead and much of the case work had disappeared.

Alexander said the delay was “unreasonable and wholly unjustifiable.”

Brown’s attorney said “We are pleased with the court’s decision.”

___

Information from: Connecticut Post, http://www.connpost.com

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Story Topics

Please read our comment policy before commenting.