- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 9, 2019

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - University of Connecticut President Thomas Katsouleas (Kat-soo-LAY’-us) says UConn has no plans to seek additional state funds to pay for a new free tuition program.

Responding to concerns raised Wednesday by Senate Republican Leader Len Fasano, Katsouleas says UConn plans to reallocate money within the university’s existing budget to the school’s financial aid budget. He says UConn will also “aggressively work to raise philanthropic dollars” to cover the cost moving forward.

Fasano sent a letter asking numerous questions about the initiative that Katsouleas announced last week during his inauguration, including whether it will lead to higher tuition.

Katsouleas said the plan to offer free tuition to in-state students from families with annual household incomes of $50,000 or less will have no impact on tuition rates or financial aid packages.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide