- Associated Press - Sunday, September 15, 2019

DANBURY, Conn. (AP) - Firefighters in Connecticut say they were able to safely remove a 5-year-old child’s finger after it got stuck in a school bus seatbelt buckle.

The News-Times reports that first responders from New Fairfield and Danbury used a high-speed diamond cutter to free the unnamed child from the buckle Friday evening at Danbury Hospital.

The newspaper says firefighters tried a number of different ways to free the finger, including using oil and ice before turning to the cutter.

The procedure involved placing a safety guard over the child’s finger and keeping a stream of water going over the tool and the belt to keep the metal from overheating.

Firefighters say the child’s hand wasn’t injured and that his family planned to keep the remaining buckle as a reminder of the ordeal.



___

Information from: The News-Times, http://www.newstimes.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide