- Associated Press - Monday, September 16, 2019

CAIRO (AP) - Sudan’s Health Ministry says at least seven people have died from a cholera outbreak over the past three weeks in a southeastern province.

It says dozens have been infected in the outbreak in the Blue Nile province. No cases have been reported in other provinces.

Authorities say 16 of Sudan’s 18 provinces have been affected by heavy rains and flash floods in late August, the worst since 2013.

The World Health Organization says new malaria cases have also been reported in several Sudanese provinces.

Naeema Al Gasseer, the WHO representative in Sudan, warned earlier this week of a risk of cholera and other intestinal diseases spreading if there’s “no immediate response interventions.”



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide