- Associated Press - Tuesday, July 14, 2020

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Nevada’s Clark County School District received approval from the state Department of Education to delay the start of the school year until Aug. 24.

District Superintendent Jesus Jara announced the scheduling change during a town hall event Monday, The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

Clark County is the nation’s fifth-largest school district, serving 320,000 students in Las Vegas and neighboring communities, the district’s website said.

The remainder of the district’s reopening strategy awaits approval by the state, which must review plans to restart classes using updated health regulations following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

The reopening plan conditionally approved by the Clark County School Board last week will return to the board for further discussion if approved by the state.



The school district was considering a blended learning model, while Jara said full-time distance education was also a possibility in Clark County.

A blended model calls for one group of students to attend in-person classes while another group participates in distance learning.

Details would be determined by the superintendent and the board in conjunction with recommendations from health officials, Jara said.

For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. But for some - especially older adults and people with existing health problems - it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, and death.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide