- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 9, 2020

Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon, who was widely regarded as one of South Korea’s most powerful political figures and a contender for the nation’s presidency in 2022, was found dead in a wooded area in his home city hours after his daughter reported him missing on Thursday.

The cause of death was still under investigation, but South Korean reports early Friday said Mr. Park, 64, may have killed himself to avoid the shame of an emerging sexual harassment scandal.

On Friday morning, Seoul officials said they were releasing what they called Mr. Park’s “will” found at his residence at the request of his family.

“I feel sorry to everyone. I thank everyone who has been with me in my life,” the note shown on TV said. It continued with a request that his remains be cremated and scattered around his parents’ graves.

The death is a blow to President Moon Jae-in, a political ally. Mr. Park, a member of Mr. Moon’s liberal Democratic Party, attracted considerable notice as the three-term mayor of the capital, a city of 25 million people. He won global attention for his efforts to turn Seoul into an environmentally friendly city, which has become an emergent technology startup hub for the fast-growing East Asian market.

Under South Korea’s constitution, Mr. Moon may not run for a second five-year term. The mayor of Seoul is traditionally considered one of the most important political positions in South Korea.

The Seoul-based SBS television network said one of Mr. Park’s secretaries lodged a complaint with police Wednesday night about alleged sexual harassment, including unwanted physical contact, that began in 2017.

The report did not name a source but said the secretary told police investigators that an unspecified number of other female employees at Seoul City Hall had reported similar experiences with Mr. Park.

The allegations could not be confirmed immediately as Mr. Park’s death shook South Korea. The mayor was renowned as a transformative political leader in Seoul, a city larger than Greater New York City.

A longtime civic activist and human rights lawyer, Mr. Park was elected mayor in 2011. He had widely been considered as a potential presidential candidate in 2022.

Mr. Park was known to travel globally, with an entourage. During a trip to the U.S. in January, 28 South Korean journalists were in tow.

In an interview with The Washington Times during the visit, Mr. Park sidestepped questions about his political future and the prospect of a presidential run. “It is God’s call whether I will be running or not,” he said.

He spoke on a range of topics during the interview and at one point praised Presidents Trump and Moon for marking “great progress” in the pursuit of denuclearization and calmer relations with North Korea over the past three years, despite the current apparent stalemate in talks with Pyongyang.

Mr. Park told The Times that he always believed in the peaceful reunification one day of the long-divided Korean Peninsula.

“In the journey to peace and to reunification, I always emphasize that we are not climbing just one mountain, we are climbing a range of mountains, and, of course in this process, we will face a lot of difficulties,” he said. “However, peace will be settled and the two Koreas will achieve reunification. I am certain on this point.”

The mayor separately maintained his activist colors as a political leader in Seoul. He often criticized what he described as South Korea’s growing social and economic inequalities and corrupt ties between large businesses and politicians.

As a lawyer, he was credited with winning South Korea’s first sexual harassment conviction. He has also been an outspoken critic of Japan’s colonial-era policies toward Korea, including the mobilization of Korean and other women as sex slaves for Japanese soldiers.

Mr. Park also established himself as a fierce opponent of former President Park Geun-hye. He openly supporting the millions of people who flooded the city’s streets in late 2016 and 2017 calling for the ouster of the conservative over a corruption scandal.

Ms. Park, a daughter of late authoritarian leader Park Chung-hee, was formally removed from office in March 2017 and was sentenced to serve decades in prison on bribery and other charges.

The Seoul mayor’s activism and reputation as a political workhorse have also drawn critics and some unsavory allegations over the years. In 2018, The Korea Herald cited claims by Hong Moon-pyo, an opposition member of the South Korean parliament, that Mr. Park was “pushing his employees too hard.”

At the time, Mr. Hong said 16 low-ranking civil servants working for the Seoul Metropolitan Government had killed themselves in the six years since Mr. Park took office, many because of work-related stress.

“Mayor Park has been so consumed by the thought of winning the next presidential race, and this tragedy is a result of him pushing his employees too hard for his political grandstanding,” the opposition lawmaker told the newspaper.

Police in South Korea said they located Mr. Park’s body near a traditional restaurant in wooded hills in northern Seoul more than seven hours after they launched a massive search for him.

No further details were given, although sources indicated that the mayor’s daughter called police Thursday afternoon saying her father had given her “a will-like” verbal message before leaving home that morning. She didn’t explain the contents of the message, said an officer at the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency who was responsible for the search operation.

Police said they mobilized about 600 police and fire officers, drones and tracking dogs to search for Mr. Park in the hills, where his cellphone signal was last detected. They said the phone was turned off when they tried to call him.

Kim Ji-hyeong, a Seoul Metropolitan Government official, said Mr. Park did not go to work Thursday for unspecified reasons and canceled all of his appointments, including a meeting with a presidential official at his Seoul City Hall office.

Police officer Lee Byeong-seok told reporters that Mr. Park was last identified by a security camera at 10:53 a.m. at the entrance to the hills, more than six hours before his daughter called police to report him missing.

• This article was based in part on wire service reports.

• Guy Taylor can be reached at gtaylor@washingtontimes.com.

• Lauren Toms can be reached at lmeier@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide