- Associated Press - Saturday, May 2, 2020

Ninety-seven more people died in Connecticut from COVID-19 and the state’s total number of cases rose to more than 29,000, state officials reported Saturday.

More than 100,000 people have been tested in the state, a number that could increase soon. Last week, state Epidemiologist Matthew Cartter said there could be 50,000 tests conducted in Connecticut per week by the end of May, compared to about 4,000 tests being done per week now.

Testing currently has focused heavily on front-line health care workers and ICU patients, but Gov. Ned Lamont has said there will be an emphasis on testing food service workers and other front-line employees, those working in factories and residents living in congested areas.

The highest number of cases in the state through Saturday, 2,491, has been reported in the city of Stamford, followed by Bridgeport with 2,099. Connecticut’s death toll rose to 2,436. The number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 fell by 41, to 1,551.

For most people, the virus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness.



In other coronavirus-related developments around Connecticut:

___

POPULAR PARKS

Beautiful spring weather brought people out to Connecticut’s parks on Saturday, forcing state officials to close many that became too crowded under the state’s guidelines for social distancing.

The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection had closed at least 11 parks because their parking areas were at capacity. Officials had urged residents to seek out lesser-used parks to avoid crowding.

Among the parks to reach capacity were Sleeping Giant State Park in Hamden, Wadsworth Falls State Park in Middletown and Talcott Mountain State Park in Simsbury.

The DEEP has implemented lower capacity limits at parks to support social distancing. It says the closures are temporary and parks can be expected to open the following day.

___

RESTAURANTS REOPEN, FOR A CAUSE

Three family-owned restaurants that closed several weeks ago due to the COVID-19 pandemic have reopened with a special service for front-line workers.

Ristorante Luce in Hamden, Goodfellas in New Haven and Bin 100 in Milford reopened Friday for takeout only. The New Haven Register reports the three also will provide free meals to first responders.

Goodfellas is owned by Gerry Iannaccone, and his sister, Elena Fusco, owns Bin 100. Their nephew, Paul Iannaccone, handles daily operations at Ristorante Luce.

Lamont said last week that outdoor dining at restaurants can resume beginning May 20, barring any significant flareups of the new coronavirus.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide