Iran and the U.S. exchanged new proposals for reaching a lasting peace in the Middle East conflict, the Foreign Ministry in Tehran said Monday, as President Trump signaled he is ready to resume military operations if necessary.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Washington sent a revised set of proposals to Tehran after Mr. Trump rejected an earlier offer.
Mr. Baghaei said Iran has delivered its response to the latest U.S. suggestions via Pakistani mediators.
“Therefore, the process is continuing through Pakistan,” he said, according to Iranian state media.
The U.S. and Iran swapped proposals as Mr. Trump dials up the heat on Tehran.
“For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!” Mr. Trump posted Sunday on social media.
SEE ALSO: Oil touches $110 per barrel as Trump warns Iran to hurry up on peace talks
The threat raised the prospect of renewed military strikes after both sides entered a ceasefire in early April to allow space for talks.
Since then, negotiators have struggled to reach a final deal. Mr. Trump is blockading Iran’s ports to squeeze Tehran economically, while Iran is choking off oil supplies in the Strait of Hormuz.
Mr. Trump insists that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.
Iran’s ability to enrich uranium seems to be a sticking point, however, with Mr. Baghaei objecting to U.S. claims about Tehran’s aims.
“Over the past two years, they have repeatedly raised more or less the same issues regarding enrichment and Iran’s enriched materials,” he said. “We have always said that these claims have no basis in reality.”
Some U.S. lawmakers say Mr. Trump needs to send Iran a tough message as talks drag out.
Sen. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Republican, said a “short but forceful response now would reset the conflict in all the right ways.”
“We must finish what we started,” he posted Monday on X. “I fear continuing negotiations without a forceful response prolongs the conflict, gives our allies doubt and will further embolden the Iranian terrorist regime.”
European allies encouraged both sides to find a lasting peace as they struggle with energy shortfalls and rising prices.
“Iran must enter into serious negotiations with the USA, stop threatening its neighbors, and open the Strait of Hormuz without restrictions,” German Chancellor Friedrich Merz posted Monday on social media.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.