- Associated Press - Sunday, May 24, 2026

KINSHASA, Congo — Arson attacks on Ebola treatment centers in eastern Congo underscore the serious challenges authorities face — including a backlash in local communities — as they try to stem an outbreak of the infectious disease that has been declared a global health emergency.

On Sunday, Congolese authorities said suspected cases have now passed 900 in the east of the country, mainly in Ituri province, where the ongoing outbreak is centered.

The burning last week of the centers in two towns at the heart of the outbreak exposed the anger in a region beset by violence linked to armed rebel groups, the displacement of a large number of people, the failure of local government and international aid cuts that experts say have stripped health facilities in vulnerable communities.



“A devastating set of emergencies are converging,” said the Physicians for Human Rights nonprofit.

Here’s a look at the longstanding crises in eastern Congo that have made it home to one of the world’s worst humanitarian disasters, and how they are now affecting the response to a rare type of Ebola:

Eastern Congo has for years seen attacks by dozens of separate rebel and militant groups, some of them with links to foreign countries or the extremist Islamic State group.

The Rwanda-backed M23 rebels are in control of parts of the region. While the Congolese government still largely controls the northeastern Ituri Province, which is the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak, that control is tenuous. The Allied Democratic Forces, a Ugandan Islamist group linked to IS, is one of the dominant rebel groups there and responsible for violent attacks against civilian targets.

Before the outbreak, Doctors Without Borders said in an assessment that the insecurity in Ituri had worsened recently, causing doctors and nurses to flee and leaving overwhelmed health facilities and in some parts, “catastrophic conditions.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The U.N. humanitarian office says almost a million people have been displaced from their homes by conflict in Ituri.

That means this Ebola outbreak is “unfolding in communities already facing insecurity, displacement and fragile health care systems,” said Gabriela Arenas, a regional coordinator at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

There are concerns the disease might spread to the large displacement camps near the city of Bunia, where the first cases were reported.

The Congolese Ministry of Communication, in a post to X on Sunday, said that there were 904 suspected cases and 119 suspected deaths, mostly in Ituri — a significant jump from the previously announced more than 700 suspected Ebola cases and more than 170 suspected deaths.

Cases have also been reported in two other eastern provinces, North Kivu and South Kivu, where the M23 rebels are in control, and also in the neighboring country of Uganda.

Advertisement
Advertisement

As a result, the outbreak in Congo is being managed by the government and in part by rebel authorities, with an array of aid agencies also helping.

Health experts say international aid cuts last year by the United States and other rich nations were devastating for eastern Congo because of its multiple problems.

The burning of treatment centers in the Rwampara and Mongbwalu areas - which have the highest Ebola case counts - show how a backlash in some communities is further complicating the response.

Authorities in northeastern Congo have now banned funeral wakes and gatherings of more than 50 people, and armed soldiers and police are guarding some burials carried out by aid workers.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.