- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Death penalty seen as ‘racist’
Question of the Day
“I can’t imagine the pain they feel, but to me, the death penalty prolongs their pain,” Mrs. Sprucin said. “If someone is in prison, then the case is over and the [victim’s family] can start moving on with their lives.”
The demonstrators also protested the sentence given to Vernon Evans Jr., who was sentenced to death for the 1983 contract killing of two Baltimore County motel clerks.
Earlier this month, the Court of Appeals upheld Evans’ death sentence.
Baker and Evans, who are black, have appealed their sentences because of the University of Maryland’s study.
Evans’ sister, Gwendolyn Bates, an evangelist, participated in the protest.
“I don’t believe that the state has a right to take another human being’s life,” she said. “I don’t believe anyone should take another human being’s life. And if that law is broken, then they should be given a sentence of life in prison or whatever it takes, but not to take that person’s life.”
About the Author
Tarron Lively is the deputy editor of the Continuous News Desk.
- Medics' lawsuit dropped for now
- Muslim holidays rejected by board
- Candidates split on racism of camera sites
- Race 'no factor' in camera locations
- 'Spy' cameras net a $3.3 million haul
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world