- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
ZADZOOKS: Chemistry Set writer Dougan has lots of stories to tell
Which comic-book characters would you like to work on? At the risk of sounding glib: my own. I don’t have a wish list of other people’s characters that I’d like to tackle. The only possible exception is Jonah Hex, and I’d also love to do a short Hellboy story or two.
Discuss Web comics versus printed comics: Web comics will thrive. [The Web] can’t be beat as a distribution vehicle, as a way for someone to build an audience. I don’t think anything will replace paper for the foreseeable future, though - it’s still the only true archival format, and the only one from which people have figured out how to make money.
What new projects are you involved in? I’m writing new stories (hopefully some more horror and Westerns) for the Chemistry Set and the ongoing adventures of Sam & Lilah (www.activatecomix.com/42.comic).
Favorite image: Watching dolphins swim underwater is pretty cool.
Besides this interview, what’s the stupidest thing you ever did? I broke into the country home of one of my professors when studying abroad in Japan. It’s a long and actually pretty boring story, but I felt really stupid at the time.
Check out the Zadzooks community on The Washington Times Web site (www.washingtontimes.com/communities/zadzooks/).
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- Zadzooks: Lego The Hobbit review
- Zadzooks: Captain America: The Winter Soldier review (iPad)
- Zadzooks: Winter Soldier and Falcon Minimates review
- Zadzooks: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Black Widow figure review
- Zadzooks: Infamous: Second Son review
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.