- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
SIMMONS: Black Caucus weak on families
Providing low- and no-cost services for, say, child care is OK if parents are working. Better to have the children of the working poor cared for than left alone to fend for themselves. But you support policy that encourages parents to ship their young off to child care so they can sit home, make more babies and watch reruns of “Who’s Yo’ Baby Daddy?” on a 42-inch TV screen.
Pardon the extreme stereotypes, but, Lord knows, blacks are sick and tired of being sick and tired. That’s why it would be nice to hear you push the benefits of the very family values that helped you reach the hallowed halls of the U.S. Capitol.
You know, husbands and wives raising children and being engaged with their children’s schooling.
It’s hard, I know, because House members serve two-year terms and are always in election mode. But you have had 40 years to push your agenda, and black families are hurting as much today as they were in 1969. It’s time to give back.
Remember what Height said: “We have survived because of family.”
- Deborah Simmons can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: Obama's birthday gift to Barry
- SIMMONS: Obama's 'Brother's Keeper' a big-government initiative that lacks faith
- SIMMONS: Andy Shallal a CEO suited for the District
- SIMMONS: It's high time someone made sense on D.C. pot plan
- SIMMONS: D.C. weighs job-killing per-employee 'service fee'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Depth, distance reduce impact of California quake
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again