- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
Pilgrim landmark marks 100 years
Shows where they landed
Question of the Day
“The Mayflower myth is that they hit Plymouth Rock, they are met by the Indians, they form a treaty and a year later they celebrate the first Thanksgiving,” Mr. Philbrick said.
The Cape Cod Pilgrim Memorial Association, founded in 1892, commissioned the Provincetown monument in an effort to set the historical record straight. Modeled by its architect after the Torre del Mangia in Siena, Italy, the tower was constructed for the modest sum of $92,000, with $40,000 paid by the federal government and the rest raised through private donations.
The effort certainly got attention at the time. President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone for the monument in 1907 and President William Taft was on hand for the dedication ceremony in 1910.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq