- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
EDITORIAL: Let them eat tapas
Obamas live the high life while America suffers
Question of the Day
The Obama family has been working hard to show their indifference to the plight of middle America. Whether it’s the president’s golfing fetish, private air transportation for family dog Bo to a Maine vacation, or Michelle Obama’s taxpayer subsidized trip to the Spanish Riviera, the gulf between the White House leisure class and the American middle class has grown to unprecedented proportions.
Everyone is entitled to some R & R, though Mrs. Obama’s jaunt is her eighth holiday this summer. Tone-deaf White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs defended vacation numero ocho by saying, “The first lady is on a private trip. She is a private citizen and is the mother of a daughter on a private trip. And I think I’d leave it at that.” Note to the flack: Most private citizens don’t have access to $150,000 in taxpayer funds and exclusive use of a jumbo jet.
The Riviera Romp coincided with a dose of bad news on the economic front. The economy shed 131,000 jobs in July, and the unemployment rate remained stuck at 9.5 percent. This is a continuing source of embarrassment for the O Force because the White House promised the almost $900 billion stimulus package would cap unemployment at 8 percent. The rate of growth in U.S. gross domestic product has declined two quarters in a row. Last week, Goldman Sachs lowered their growth projection for 2011 to 1.9 percent (below the current 2.4 percent rate), and raised projected unemployment to 10 percent. According to a new poll by longtime Democratic operative James Carville’s Democracy Corps, only 41 percent of voters believe President Obama’s policies helped avert a worse economic crisis, while 52 percent believe they have slowed growth and job gains. Two-thirds of the way through what Vice President Joe Biden loudly billed as “Recovery Summer,” the recovery is faltering and a majority of voters sees the administration as the problem, not the solution.
Christina Romer, stimulus architect and chairman of Mr. Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers, is leaving her job to return to the ivory tower at Berkeley. That can be taken as an admission of defeat. Details continue to emerge of frivolousness in stimulus spending, such as a study of monkeys on crack and $1 billion to the FutureGen Alliance in tiny Mattoon, Ill., to work on a planned carbon-dioxide containment system.
The administration seems unconcerned about the perception that it’s looting the public treasury and running up record amounts of debt, but the electorate has noticed. Mr. Obama’s Gallup weekly approval rating has dipped to 45 percent, and key traditional voting blocs - independents, those with middle income, married, over 50 and those who attend church regularly - rate the president from 44 percent to 35 percent. The Democracy Corps poll revealed that voters prefer Republicans to Democrats on economic issues by a 13-point margin. And according to a July Quinnipiac University poll pitting Mr. Obama against an unnamed Republican challenger, if an election were held today, the president would be a private citizen just like his wife.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Stopping police asset-forfeiture predators
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'economic patriotism' means higher taxes
- EDITORIAL: Cellphones, steering wheels and safety
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ship tours can foster dialogue
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Latin leaders profit from illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling