- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror plotter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
- Libyan prime minister ousted by parliament
- Men’s Wearhouse to buy Jos A Bank for $1.8B
U.S. rules out missile-defense link to treaty
The State Department said Thursday there will be no direct link between missile defenses and U.S. and Russian offensive strategic weapons cuts in the language of the nearly finished successor to the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, or START.
State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the treaty and text of the final agreement are still being negotiated and reports that the U.S. side in the talks will link missile defenses to START are untrue.
U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle stated on his Russian-language blog that the new treaty will refer to missile defenses in the text. The comment prompted reports from Moscow that the U.S. had made a concession to Russia on the issue, reports Mr. Crowley said were untrue.
"As we have made clear to the Russians through this negotiation, there is no direct link between [missile defense and strategic offensive arms]," Mr. Crowley said.
"The START agreement will in no way affect our deployment of missile defense assets in Europe as our announcement last week with Romania underscores," he said. "The deployments under the phased adaptive approach will be done faster than previously planned and protect all of Europe."
A U.S. official close to the negotiations said adding missile defenses to the text of the treaty would be a concession to Russia. In the past, U.S. negotiators had said all mention of missile defense would be restricted to the treaty's opening passages.
U.S. officials have said frequently that missile defenses planned for Europe - currently made up of long-range, ground-based interceptors and ship-based missiles - are not aimed at Russia's large number of missiles.
Missile defenses have been a sticking point in the START treaty negotiations as Moscow has demanded that the treaty address missile defenses in the context of offensive arms reductions, a position so far rejected by U.S. negotiators.
The Obama administration, partly as a concession to Russia, agreed last year to scrap plans for a long-range missile-defense interceptor site in Poland and related radar in the Czech Republic. Instead, the administration will deploy shorter-range missile defenses, including the sea-based SM-3 interceptor and a future ground-based version of the SM-3 in Poland.
On Feb. 4, Romania's President Traian Basescu announced that the government there had agreed to deploy medium-range missile interceptors for the U.S. missile-defense system. The interceptors could be operational by 2015.
The announcement prompted official expressions of concern from Russia's Foreign Ministry. A spokesman said the government was seeking clarification on the Romanian plan.
Russian Gen. Nikolai Makarov, chief of the general staff, on Tuesday said in Moscow that U.S. plans to put missile defenses in Europe threatened Russian national security and undermined Moscow's offensive missile forces, despite U.S. claims that the defenses are aimed at rogue regimes such as Iran and North Korea.
Gen. Makarov said the Russians view missile defenses "very negatively, because it could weaken our missile forces."
The general also said the new treaty "must take into account the link between defensive and offensive strategic weapons.
"This link is very close; they are absolutely interdependent. It would be wrong not to take the missile defense into account," he said in a Russian television statement.
About the Author
Bill Gertz is a national security columnist for The Washington Times and senior editor at The Washington Free Beacon (www.freebeacon.com). He has been with The Times since 1985.
He is the author of six books, four of them national best-sellers. His latest book, “The Failure Factory,” on government bureaucracy and national security, was published in September 2008.
- Inside the Ring: Pentagon reevaluating Obama's pivot to Asia
- Inside the Ring: All eyes on Moscow's military moves in Ukraine
- Inside the Ring: China readies for 'short, sharp' war with Japan
- Inside the Ring: U.S., China in war of words over South China Sea air zone
- Inside the Ring: China military on the rails
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Redskins keeping Santana Moss, agree to terms with two others
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again