- Associated Press - Saturday, July 24, 2010

DUISBURG, Germany (AP) — The death toll rose to 19 on Sunday and police said that 342 had been injured in a panicked crush of partygoers in an overcrowded tunnel that served as the sole entrance to a German festival billed as the world’s largest techno music party.

The founder of the Love Parade said it would never be held again.

“The Love Parade was always a peaceful event and a happy party” but would forever be overshadowed by the tragedy, Rainer Schaller said.

“It’s over for the Love Parade,” he said.

He spoke at a press conference where authorities faced tough questions but provided few details about why hundreds of thousands of people were funneled through a single highway underpass into the former freight railway station used as the venue for the party.

German media reported that there were at least 1.4 million people, but police did not confirm that estimate.

Detlef von Schmeling, the police chief in Duisburg, said that 16 of the 19 people killed have been identified so far. He said they include an Australian, an Italian, a Chinese citizen and a person from Holland.

Von Schmeling said their ages ranged from just over 20 to 40.

The Dutch Foreign Ministry said that a 22-year-old Dutch man was among the dead.

Witnesses said officers in Duisburg, a city in the Ruhr area near Duesseldorf in western Germany, closed the end of the tunnel emptying onto the festival grounds after they become overcrowded around 5 p.m. They told revelers over loudspeakers to turn around and walk back in the other direction. But the entrance to the tunnel did not appear to have been closed and people continued piling in, sparking a panic and then a deadly crush.

Witnesses described a desperate scene as people piled up on one another or scrambled over others who had fallen.

Partygoer Udo Sandhoefer told n-tv television that even though no one else was being let in, people still streamed into the tunnel, causing “a real mass panic.”

“At some point the column (of people) got stuck, probably because everything was closed up front, and we saw that the first people were already lying on the ground,” he said.

City officials chose not to evacuate the site, fearing it might spark more panic, and many people continued partying, unaware of the deaths. Rescue workers carried away the injured as techno music thundered in the background.

Other workers had trouble getting to the victims, hampered by the huge crowds. Local media reported that the cell phone system in Duisburg broke down temporarily, and frantic parents trying to reach their children instead drove to the scene to look for them.

Story Continues →