- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
NUGENT: Glowing with green energy
Japan’s woes aside, nuclear power alone can free us from Mideast dependence
The anti-American green goony squad squawks endlessly about the need to ween ourselves from oil after last year’s spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Due to the disaster in Japan, we are hearing more of the same from leftists about nuclear energy.
It wouldn’t surprise me if the anti-energy leftist crowd in America will soon be yammering that what America needs to do is to ban all forms of energy that produce heat, including matches.
Green energy is energy-less. Embracing so-called green energy is an energy death sentence for America.
Amazingly, a component of this administration’s energy policy is to ban Thomas Edison’s light bulb and force Americans to use “environmentally friendly” compact fluorescent light bulbs by 2014, all of which are made by communist China and pose serious health and environmental threats due to their mercury content.
The bold energy reality is that we can’t turn our backs on either oil or nuclear energy. What we need is much more of both. And right here in North America, we have an abundance of both.
Nuclear power is the way ahead. Even with the ugly and unprecedented disaster in Japan, statistically, it remains the cleanest, safest and most efficient energy source known to man.
We have 104 nuclear power plants producing 20 percent of our energy demands. All the green energy sources combined provide no more than 5 percent of America’s energy demands.
The smart move is to build many more nuclear energy power plants if we want clean, dependable and efficient energy.
America has enough oil and natural gas right off our coasts to power America for at least a couple of generations. Banning the extraction of this energy condemns us to continued slavery to OPEC.
We don’t need to ween ourselves off oil. What we need to do is purge ourselves of Mideast oil that is controlled by robe-wearing, voodoo-entranced OPEC mobsters.
Drill here and drill now and eliminate the OPEC mob.
What America lacks is a bold energy policy and vision that will make America energy-independent. Instead, we have bureaucrats stumbling over each other with their stacks of bureaucratic regulations and requirements for what kind of light bulbs American can use. Unbelievable. And you thought “The Planet of the Apes” was just a movie.
President Jimmy Carter established the Department of Energy more than 30 years ago and America is more dependent on foreign oil than ever. We haven’t built a new nuclear power plant or oil refinery in more than 30 years. This is completely unacceptable and very un-American. We are strangling ourselves and then complaining we can’t get enough air - so very liberal of us.
Once again, the Middle East is sending America a message and the message is that that region is unpredictable and downright goofy. The political unrest in the Mideast will surely cause oil prices to soar even beyond where they are today. The sooner America severs our addiction to their oil, the better off we will be. Independence is good. Dependence is bad.
About the Author
Ted Nugent is an American rock ‘n’ roll, sporting and political activist icon. He is the author of “Ted, White, and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto” and “God, Guns & Rock ‘N’ Roll” (Regnery Publishing).
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
Get Breaking Alerts
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control