- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
- School bus driver gets probation after kicking autistic girl, 8
- Ex-Army Ranger petitions to keep tan beret off certain soldiers’ heads
Inside the Beltway
Dick Cheney is already ruling the popular book sale lists, just days before the release of his 576-page book “In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir.” The former vice president’s attentive reception among American readers is bound to frustrate those journalists who have long been at war with Mr. Cheney. Here are the numbers:
At Amazon, Mr. Cheney’s book is No. 3 on the top-100 list of all books. It is No. 1 on the Amazon’s political books roster, as well as sales lists for U.S. history and biographies. The substantial book is also No. 2 in all book sales at Barnes & Noble. Incidentally, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is soon to offer her personal story as well: “No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington” is expected on book shelves Nov. 1, described as “surprisingly candid” by publisher Crown Books.
“1 Earthquake, 1 Hurricane, 2 days off. East Coast Disaster Week, 2011.” (T-shirt already for sale at Zazzle.com)
ENRAGING THE LEFT
“Dick Cheney is not only a strong conservative, but he’s one of those rare politicians who doesn’t give a fig what the liberal media say about him. So Cheney is much more willing to dispute the liberal orthodoxy, which he especially did on national security. He did not see the war on terror as primarily a law enforcement issue, for example,” Media Research Center research director Rich Noyes tells Inside the Beltway.
“This approach seems to have enraged the Left, and earned him the enmity of a lot of liberal journalists - like Chris Matthews, Ed Schultz, Tina Brown, etc. - and they have responded with the most acrimonious coverage ever doled out to a vice president in modern times.”
“Dick Cheney projects the bleakness of a Wyoming winter, while John Edwards always appears to be strolling in the Carolina sunshine.” (Newsweek writers Evan Thomas, Susannah Meadows and Arian Campo-Flores, in 2004)
“The day I say Dick Cheney is going to run for president, Ill kill myself. All we need is one more liar.” (Hearst White House columnist Helen Thomas, 2005)
“We have to remember that Dick Cheney was wrong in a way that was lethal. … He does seem like a character out of ‘Dr. Strangelove.’ ” (MSNBCs Chris Matthews, 2009).
Mr. Cheney, you terrified more Americans than did any terrorist in the last seven years, and now it is time for you to desist, or to be made to desist.” (MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann, 2009)
“When asked to describe their feelings about the federal government, 86 percent say either that they are frustrated (60 percent) or angry (26 percent). Just 11 percent say they are basically content with the federal government, by far the lowest percentage in a measure that dates to 1997,” says new findings from the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 10 state tour: Tea party bus rolls in the name of liberty - and the midterms
- Inside the Beltway: The Elizabeth Warren effect
- They're next: Alaska fumes over marijuana legalization
- 'Scott Walker 2016': Here comes the bumper sticker
- Inside the Beltway: The NRA still true to its calling
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014