- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
- HUMPHRIES: Fight like a Democrat – An open letter to Sen. Mitch McConnell
- Florida board member shocks with ‘Heil Hitler’ salute at town meeting
- Bill O’Reilly, Chris Matthews inducted into Irish America Hall of Fame
- Military given ‘execute order’ by Obama for secret cyber mission in June
Flanagan death ruled suicide by medical examiner
During that appearance out of the bullpen, Flanagan struck out Detroit’s Dave Bergman and Travis Fryman, much to the delight of the 50,700 fans that filled the old ballpark one last time.
The Baltimore Ravens showed a video of that final pitch before their preseason game against the Washington Redskins, calling Flanagan “one of Baltimore’s favorite sons.” The video was stopped showing Flanagan as he doffed his cap while walking off the mound.
“He was a wonderful individual and a true Oriole who led by example, played the game with class and brought a lot of happiness to Orioles‘ fans over his career. He will be missed tremendously by so many people,” said Mike Gibbons, executive director of Sports Legends Museum & the Babe Ruth Birthplace.
The Flanagan family issued this statement Thursday: “We thank you for your support and kind words at this difficult time. Thank you for respecting our privacy as we grieve. A private memorial will be held at a later date.”
Associated Press writer Alex Dominguez in Baltimore, Baseball Writer Ben Walker in New York and AP Sports Writer Joseph White in Washington contributed to this report.
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee claims Constitution is 400 years old
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again