- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Panthers Smith says no comparing Newton to Tebow
Newton is 4-9 as a starter, although he’s put up incredible individual numbers. He has a chance to become the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards and run for 500 in the same season. He already has 554 yards rushing and needs only 427 yards passing to reach 4,000.
“Everybody wants to crown Tebow as a versatile quarterback,” Smith said. “Versatile to me means you can throw the ball very accurately, run the ball and create things. The only he can create is running. He isn’t very accurate.”
“You can’t compare Cam to Tebow. I think Cam’s a more complete player,” Smith said. “Tebow has the wins. But everybody wants to crown Tebow. Yes, he has the will to win. I think Tebow is no different than any other professional (in that way). But Tebow has a great opportunity to play behind a great defense.”
Denver has allowed the fourth-fewest points in the league; the injury-plagued Panthers defense ranks 22nd in points allowed.
“That’s not a versatile quarterback,” Smith said.
The Panthers have led in 12 of 13 games this year, but have lost six contests when they’ve led in the fourth quarter. On the other hand, Tebow has five game-winning drives in the fourth quarter this year and six for his career.
In Denver, the fourth quarter has become known as “Tebow Time.”
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again