- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Multiple-vehicle crash in Bethesda kills one
A multiple-vehicle crash Wednesday night in Bethesda involving a Metro bus killed one person and snarled traffic along Rockville Pike through the evening rush hours, officials said.
The accident, which occurred at about 4:20 p.m., involved at least five vehicles including the bus and injured at least 10 people.
Montgomery County Fire Chief Richard Bowers said the victims were taken to a nearby hospital for injuries ranging from "very minor to very serious."
Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said the person killed was not a passenger on the bus, which was going north on Rockville Pike, near Alta Vista Road, to Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg.
The busy north-south road connects central Maryland to the District and is a major commuter artery.
The accident resulted in a major emergency response with multiple ambulances and firefighters climbing in the twilight through open windows of the bus, which appeared to have plowed through a fence before coming to a stop.
A county police spokesman said emergency crews were still trying to extricate bus passengers about an hour after the accident but had removed the female driver, who was taken to the hospital.
A collision reconstruction unit was on site, but officials said they had yet to determine the cause of the accident.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Lenten season marks big business for seafood sector
- ACU at 50: Strong and looking ahead
- Ready for spring? D.C. cherry blossoms to bloom by mid-April
- MOVIE REVIEW: 'Son of God'
- Experts say immigrants are changing the U.S. religious landscape
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again