- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas
- Rich Peverley collapses on Dallas Stars bench; game postponed
- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
Boehner to ‘revive’ school vouchers
Heeds Obama call to action
“Here in Washington, the church has helped to ensure that the District’s most at-risk children receive a quality education,” he said. “We are grateful to Speaker Boehner for his continuing support for these children that they may not only receive an excellent education but also may have hope for the future. It is difficult to envision what could outweigh the futures and hopes of the young people of this city.”
Mr. Boehner also invited Virginia Walden Ford, executive director of D.C. Parents for Choice, who told The Washington Times that she is keeping a “glass-half-full perspective” because of prior roadblocks in the Senate.
“We have to lobby and educate to make sure federal and local government are involved,” said Ms. Walden Ford, who also is a fellow at the Heritage Foundation.
“It’s important that Kwame Brown is now council chair. That’s significant. There’s no reason to believe the mayor will change his position, but you never know. The next few weeks will be very telling.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: Too close to Thompson's tangled web, Mayor Gray should go
- SIMMONS: Obama's birthday gift to Barry
- SIMMONS: Obama's 'Brother's Keeper' a big-government initiative that lacks faith
- SIMMONS: Andy Shallal a CEO suited for the District
- SIMMONS: It's high time someone made sense on D.C. pot plan
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Man with stolen passport on missing jet is asylum seeker
- Al Qaeda to launch English-language Web magazine 'Resurgence'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again