- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
Nationals place Hairston on DL with broken wrist
WASHINGTON (AP) - Jerry Hairston Jr. was placed on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a broken bone in his right wrist, an injury that is expected to sideline him from two to four weeks.
Hairston was hurt when he was hit by a pitch from Dan Haren in Wednesday's loss to the Los Angeles Angels. Hairston said the twilight conditions kept him from seeing the pitch in time, and he knew right away his wrist was broken.
"Hopefully healthy in two weeks," he said. "It's one of those things where it's broke in a good area where it could heal pretty quick."
Hairston said he'll give the wrist a week or so to calm down and then try swinging a bat. The injury doesn't require surgery or a cast.
"If I can swing the bat and tolerate it, they'll let me go," he said.
Hairston is batting .260 with two home runs and 17 RBIs. His move to the DL is retroactive to June 30.
The Nationals also activated outfielder Rick Ankiel from the 15-day DL.
Ankiel missed 14 games with a strained rib cage muscle. He was batting .204 with one home run and nine RBIs entering Friday's series opener against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.