- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
Cheh, Catania call for Thomas to resign from D.C. Council
Question of the Day
Two D.C. Council members on Saturday called on Harry Thomas Jr. to resign his council seat after he settled a lawsuit brought by the city accusing him of using money from a charity he operated as a personal slush fund.
“In Mr Thomas‘ settlement, he was not required to and did not admit to any wrongdoing; nevertheless it appears that he inappropriately diverted public money intended for youth activities to his own benefit,” D.C. Council member Mary M. Cheh said in a statement issued Saturday afternoon. “This implicit acknowledgement will, I believe, make it very difficult for him to continue to effectively serve the citizens of the District, and, therefore, I hope he will seriously consider stepping off the Council.”
That statement came shortly after a similar call from council member David A. Catania.
“By virtue of Friday’s settlement, Councilmember Thomas has declined to offer a full accounting of his actions,” Mr. Catania said in a statement. “The residents of the District of Columbia deserve better. With such serious allegations unanswered and an on-going investigation by the US Attorney, I believe that Councilmember Thomas should resign from the Council of the District of Columbia.”
D.C. Attorney General Irvin B. Nathan on Friday announced Mr. Thomas, a Democrat, had agreed to pay back $300,000 in grant money that he is accused of using for personal golfing trips, hotel stays and a new sport utility vehicle. The settlement came after the attorney general last month filed a $1 million lawsuit against Mr. Thomas.
In a statement Friday, Mr. Thomas said a settlement was in the “the best interest of the city” and he denied any “purposeful misuse” of public funds.
“I have committed my life to teaching life skills to children through sports and athletic competition,” he said. “The discipline and strenuous rigors that I teach through coaching and mentoring were lacking in the management of the organization.”
Mr. Thomas has already stepped down from his post as chairman of the powerful Committee on Government Operations under pressure from his colleagues. Under the terms of the settlement, he is precluded from directing or soliciting charitable donations in the District — except for his constituent services fund.
Mrs. Cheh, Ward 3 Democrat, also said that the terms of the legal settlement, which require Mr. Thomas to pay back $300,000 by the end of 2013, “may raise additional concerns if any efforts at fundraising will be involved.”
Mr. Thomas is serving his second term representing Ward 5. His late father, Harry Thomas Sr., represented the ward for three terms.
The council member had been under scrutiny largely over Team Thomas, a nonprofit he co-founded in 2000. The organization purportedly ran children’s sports programs until it was dissolved last December.
The attorney general’s office said more than $300,000 in grant funds went to Langston 21st Century Foundation, a purported youth sports and education nonprofit, which is suspected of secretly giving most of the funds to Mr. Thomas through his nonprofit and for-profit organizations. Official documents identify the foundation principles as James Garvin and Marshall Banks.
Mr. Nathan’s office previously settled with principals of the Langston foundation for $86,000.
The attorney general also alleged Mr. Thomas solicited more than $80,000 from private donors on behalf of Team Thomas, which was never registered in the city to do so, and used a Team Thomas debit card to spend more than $20,000 on personal travel and entertainment use — including $1,185 and $1,073 for respective golf trips to Las Vegas and Pebble Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- Prince William County officials alarmed at illegals housed at nonprofit
- Former P.G. County Executive Wayne K. Curry dies of cancer at 63
- Jury: HIV/AIDS grant money used to renovate building that opened as strip club
- Assad Facebook page displays letter of support from Virginia state senator
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq